Welcome!

This should be fun.....and funny. Occasionally a little serious....but mostly humourous!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Zurich Day 1

It has been quite a day. It all began at about 3:30am. I had to get up super early to catch my ride to the airport for my 6AM flight to Zurich. The lovely concierge at the hotel was so very helpful and told my driver that I needed to be dropped at terminal 3. When we arrive at terminal 3, I see a giant sign that reads "Virgin Atlantic." The driver helps with the luggage and drives away.  I was a little nervous. It was a new airport for me. I felt like I was running late. So, I walk into the terminal and very quickly realized what the Virgin Atlantic sign had suggested. I was at the wrong terminal. I frantically found someone to tell me the correct terminal (1 of course) and the way there. He says, "oh, simple, take that lift (elevator) down 1 level then follow the signs to terminal 1." So, I did. He failed to mention the fact that the terminal is about a mile away via underground tunnels, and walking is the only option. Remember how I felt like I was running late? I basically ran. With my luggage.....I finally arrive at terminal 1. I found the airline, went through security, checked in. I was ready to go, and I had about 15 minutes to spare. (According to the boarding time on the ticket.) By then I was feeling pretty good. As I walked through the airport, I stopped at a screen to check which gate I needed (33b.) I followed a sign that pointed my direction. Finally, I am good, just need to get to the gate, but I have time. Then, I see another sign that gives approximate walking times to the various gates. Guess what, gate 33b should only take about 15 minutes. Geez Louise!!!  I made it, running again,.....but I am fairly certain that gate 33b is directly above the entrance to terminal 3. By the time I sit down at the gate to wait for boarding, my hair is basically wet, and I am burning up!!! Then I sat there for 30 minutes before we board. Hahaha....isn't life funny!

2 morals to this story.....

1. Don't pack clothes, buy new ones when you arrive. Luggage is a burden :) The alternative is to pack for 3 days and cylce your outfits.

2. If they let you check in at the ticket counter, don't worry about missing your flight, they don't board when they say they will anyway.


Now, I am in Zurich! It is absolutely beautiful. Just outside our hotel there is a great little open air market with fresh flowers, fruits and veggies, spices and herbs. They even had bread and cheese trucks. I met up with Keri Jones from Salt Lake City and Kris Silvestry from New Jersey early this morning. We took a walk around the market and surrounding neighborhood while we waited for our rooms. We even had time to enjoy the pool for a little while. I ended up with a room on the 28th floor of the 32 story hotel, and the view is fantastic. The 32nd floor is the spa and pool. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.






















Tomorrow is the first event for young women. Stay tuned for more.....

2 comments:

  1. Kyla, these pictures are AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am officially jealous! Aren't the outdoor markets beautiful!! Makes you want to have a picnic...I used to live in Munich and they had them there! I miss it!
    Your hotel is gorgeous...how fun is that! Yay for you! So happy for you!!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete